Friday, August 8, 2008

Half-widow not interested in remarrying


Police refuses to register case 18 yrs after husband disappeared in custody


MirTariq Bandipora, Feb 12: Habla Begum has not lost the hope of her husband’s return who went missing in BSF’s custody 18 years ago. “I will not remarry. My husband was God-fearing and no harm can be done to him. He will surely return one day,” she asserts. Habla’s husband Mohammad Amin Malik, 35, an employee of Irrigation department was picked up by BSF personnel of 81 Bn from Nawpora, Bandipora in 1991. Since then his whereabouts are not known.
“My husband was picked up by BSF personnel near Higher Secondary School Kaloosa in November 1991 wherefrom he was shifted to some unknown destination. We visited the BSF camp to enquire the reasons for his arrest. However, the camp officials told us that they have not arrested Amin and asked us to search for him in other camps,” she said.Habla, who is in her mid 30s, said that since then she and her family members have been visiting the camps of troops to ascertain Amin’s whereabouts. “We have visited all the camps of troops in Kaloosa and Bandipora but failed to trace him out,” she said in a choked voice. She said that she met all the top police officials of the district and apprised them about the custodial disappearance of her husband. “Except for hollow promises, these officials did not lend me any help in tracing out my missing husband,” added Habla.Habla is at loss to understand that despite pleading before police and troops about her missing husband, no FIR has been registered. “Police did not lodge an FIR on the pretext that there is no witness to her husband’s arrest. “My husband was picked up in full public glare and despite that police has not lodged an FIR. They don’t want to pursue my case because I can’t grease their palms,” she alleged.Habla said that she is too poor to seek any legal help to search her husband. “I belong to a poor family and can’t afford to bear legal expenses. I am hardly able to bear the expenses of schooling my kids.”Asked whether she had any plans to remarry, Habla replied, “No. My husband was a God-fearing man. I believe nothing wrong can be done to him. I have a firm belief that he would return to join us one day.”She said that besides searching her husband, she has also focused her attention to raise her two small kids. “I want to provide them best education and hope by the time they grow up, they will be joined by their father.”

No comments: